Monday, July 30, 2012

Networking with @SocialSprite & @NWCreativeUnion


Choose who you are before they do – Lessons from a modern day Sherlock Holmes




There are few television shows that have turned me into an avid fan, but a friend recently introduced me to the PBS Masterpiece Mystery show “Sherlock” and now I’m hooked.

One episode has this modern day Sherlock grab a hat on his way out of a theatre in order to hide from the press. The hat harkens to the original Sherlock Holmes. It’s a deerstalker. Well the press gets a shot of Sherlock in it and now everyone wants to see him in the “hat.” He hates it, but now it has become a part of his brand.

So be careful what you choose to wear, say, do online because people will grasp onto things you didn’t mean to do, say or wear. In other words know who you are and then show that to the world. I’m not saying be rigid or put yourself into a box, but know who you are so that when out there you convey that and not multiple, haphazard images.

Once your audience thinks they know who you are it’s very hard to change their minds. This is both good and bad.

The last episode of PBS’s Sherlock played with this idea. Once people started to believe a lie told about Sherlock there was no going back and his reputation was ruined. Mind you he didn’t help himself by being arrogant. People are fickle, but if you are your authentic self and personable I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

So ask yourself, “Who am I and what do I stand for? What’s my passion and what is my mission?” Do this because the world needs your voice, your vision.

Check out my New World Creative Union profile to connect and learn more about what I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment